Studying a subjects such as English, Creative Writing, Journalism, Librarianship or Publishing can seem like a huge challenge for a dyslexic person. It is possible for us to do well on such courses, even thrive.  Most will be no more demanding in terms of reading and writing skills than the majority of other degree courses.

There is more support available for dyslexics at UK universities than at other stages of education. You can get an overview of some of the support that could be available and other advice for dyslexic university students in the YouTube footage below from Get Ready for University.

When visiting universities for open days it is often a good idea to ask to speak to those in charge of disability support (dyslexia is legally recognised as a disability in some circumstances). This means you can find out what sort of help is offered for those with dyslexia by the university and how you can access this. You should then go and see them again as soon as you arrive at your chosen university. They can help you with forms and applying for help from government schemes such as DSA (Disabled Students Allowance), they may be able to organise dyslexia assessments and extra time in exams.

Another way of accessing support is by speaking to your academic tutor. If they know you have dyslexia and learn differently then they can talk through what support can be provided on your specific course. They can notify your lectures of things they can and should do to support you. Sometimes they can grand short extensions for assignments if you require extra time due to dyslexic difficulties, this could be while you are waiting to receive assertive technology through your DSA, for example.

Your student union should have a disability rep who can help if you have any problems with the support offered by your university. There may even be a society for people with dyslexia and other learning differences at your university, such as the one at Edinburgh University. These provide support and opportunities to socialise with other dyslexic students. If your university doesn’t have a dyslexia or learning differences society then you can always start one.

If you do not notify your university that you are dyslexic in the right way and ask for the support available then you will not be supported. It is best to let them know you are dyslexic and what your needs are as early as possible because it can take a long time for some forms of assistance to be provided.

You can learn more about DSA in the youtube footage below.

Study Tips   Study Guides and Books   Writing and Publishing Careers   Writing and Editing Books